When flooding occurs in a home or business property, quick action is essential to minimize the overall extent of the water damage. This statement is true for all areas of a property including the basement. If the basement of your property has suffered from flooding, you are in a race against time to get the situation resolved and the necessary repairs performed. The longer the issue is left unresolved, the more extensive the water damage will become. This inevitably leads to a larger repair and restoration bill. For these reasons, it is important to quickly bring in the services of basement flood restoration professionals who can take rapid action. The actions that they will take to resolve the issue include:
- Identifying the flooding source
- Extraction of all standing water
- Using specialized equipment to dry the entirety of the basement
- Determining the extent of the damage
- Assisting you in salvaging anything that can be repaired and restored
- Dealing with any mold issues that arise
- Undertaking the actual repair and restoration work required to get your basement back to its original condition
Important Points to Note Immediately After a Basement Flood Occurs
Some important steps need to be taken by you as a property owner after your basement has flooded. These include:
- Ensure that your property is safe to re-enter after flooding has occurred.
- Make sure that the electrical supply to your property has been shut off at the primary circuit breaker.
- Make sure you are wary of any electrical wiring that may be under the water level of the flooding.
- Shut off your property’s main water supply if the flooding was caused by a plumbing issue such as a burst pipe.
- Do not allow yourself to come into direct contact with the floodwater as it will often contain hazardous contaminants that can adversely affect your health.
- Make sure that you take photos of the flooding and damage so that you can present them to your insurance company. You also want to make sure you keep a list of belongings that will have to be discarded as a result of flood damage.
- Quickly contact your local team of basement flood repair professionals to respond to your situation and take action.
The Importance of a Rapid Response After You Notice Water Damage
The primary reason why it is important to quickly bring in help from trained basement flood restoration professionals after a flood is because you are in a race against time. When your basement or any other area of your property is flooded, the damage continues to accumulate until all of the water has been removed and the area has been completely dried out. If you hesitate on having the water removed, it will only lead to a larger expense that you will have to pay out to restore your basement. To find out more about the water damage restoration check out this article: 3 Signs That You Need Professional Water Damage Restoration Services And How They Can Help
Trained professionals that specialize in flood repair will bring with them an array of specialized equipment that will allow them to quickly get the water out of your basement and then dry the area out. These things must be done before the real work of restoring your basement to its former condition can take place.
Tips for Salvaging Items of Personal Property After a Basement Flood
It can be helpful to know about these tips that you can undertake after a flood has occurred. You want to quickly remove any items of property that have gotten wet from floodwater. This gives you your best chance to save the items. Quick removal also assists with the drying process and can help to prevent problems such as rot, warping, and the growth of mold. It is important to note that items such as furniture and carpet can often be saved if you get them out of the floodwater situation within the first 24 hours. If you allow them to remain in there longer than that, the chance that they can be salvaged goes down significantly.
Your Local Team of Damage Restoration Pros Can Save You Money In the Long Run
The reality is that spending the money on the services of flood restoration professionals is a long-term money saver. The work that they do will help you in saving as much of your property as can be salvaged. Beyond this, they can help to restore your basement to its pre-flood condition.